May 23, 2011

Happy Six Months Angel

My sweet niece Angel Ryan. It's so hard to believe that six months have passed since you went to Heaven so much earlier than anyone anticipated. Around this time last year I was flying to Texas and getting to meet you for the first time. You were still only 3 months or so in my sister's belly, but you took part in adventures during that trip. There was a huge traffic jam in Louisiana where you got to experience your Uncle Michael's road rage. There was a crazy lightning and thunder storm as we got into Birmingham, Alabama where we stayed one night. And of course there was the deer that jumped in front of the van just outside of Atlanta.

Once back in NC, I talked your mom into a day trip to one of the most special places in the world to me Chapel Hill so I could get some pictures of you, her and Natalie. I don't think I had to do much convincing though. I was so grateful to get those pictures and became even more so about 6 months later. It was only a few days with you during that trip, but that was a great time I got to spend with you, your mom, older sister and puppy dogs.




Sadly I only got to spend a few more days with you in person after that. In the six months since November 23, 2010 I have enjoyed our runs together more than I can put into words here. I have a feeling you know how special they and you are to me. In 13 days I will do something that I set as a goal back in November as a way to honor you and help other people remember how special you are. I have been training for this half-marathon, and I am ready for it because of you.

Each of the last two Saturdays I've done challenging runs and you've motivated me on those runs. On May 14th I ran in the Cinco de Mayo 10K Trail Run at Lake Poway. It was up and down mountain trails including a huge incline up the mountain around the half-way point and an uphill finish. It was the most physically challenging run of my life, but every time I looked down at my shirt I saw your footprints and name. That pushed me to keep going. This past Saturday I ran twice around the Lake Miramar 5-mile loop to match my longest distance yet. Running Activity 10.01 mi | RunKeeper

On June 5th I'll beat that because I'll be Running With Ryan. Happy six months in Heaven my Sweet Angel.

Please try to donate to one or more of the charities that Whitney has chosen to honor Ryan. Remember to specify that the donation is in honor of Ryan Elizabeth Watts or Running With Ryan so it can be counted towards our goals. Thank you everyone for reading and remembering.

Love You Angel Ryan!

1 comment:

  1. I love you, Uncle Michael. What you're doing is incredible- and your family feels that love across oceans of distance. Good luck at the half!

    ReplyDelete