November 14, 2011

Big Sur here I come...

I've been absolutely horrible about keeping up with the blog over the last 2.5-3 months as I prepare for the Big Sur Half Marathon next weekend. I apologize sincerely. I've been training, but I haven't been good about tracking it online.

I got some new toys for my training, which you think would make it easier. I bought a Nike+ GPS Sportwatch to track my runs and log them online. Unfortunately I got a defective one that stopped connecting to my computer after about 4 runs. It works great on the runs and is really easy to use/read, but if it isn't connecting to my computer so I can log them and see the routes, it's not doing me much good. Nike is sending me a replacement, so hopefully that one will work a little longer. I also got a new Sony Walkman mp3 player. It took a couple of runs to adjust to, but I've started to really like it for longer runs.

On top of those I've been running in a new pair of shoes. I got them when I was home in NC over Labor Day. I went to a running shop with my sister and they watched us run and measured our feet. Then they recommended a set of shoes to choose from. I chose the Brooks Ghost 4. I went from a stability shoe to a neutral shoe and also went from a standard width to a wide. I have absolutely felt the difference.

In my training I've also been mixing in some sprinting/speed work/stairs. It seems to be paying dividends on my mid-distance runs. Hopefully it will make a difference on the 13.1 mile run in Big Sur on Sunday.

My goal is to finish under 1 hour and 55 minute, which is about a 8 minute 45 second per mile pace.

I'm driving up from San Diego on Saturday morning and staying in Monterey on Saturday night. The race is Sunday morning, and I'll also stay there Sunday night so I can enjoy Big Sur for a few hours and also not spend 8 hours in a car after running 13.1 miles.

The 20th was Ryan's due date so the date of the race has meaning. Three days after the race will be her first birthday.  I wish I was going to be celebrating these days differently, but I am looking forward to this race. She is always with me and that is never more evident than when I'm running outside, so running along the ocean and cliffs of Big Sur will be amazing.

I am also extremely motivated by my sister Whitney. I can't put in words how proud I am of her. One for her amazing run at the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon, where she easily beat her expected finish. Running a half marathon is something we talked about doing on Thanksgiving Day last year (our first conversation after losing Ryan), and it's something she worked hard to do. I know it meant alot to be out there and to complete the goal.

I am also proud of how she, Rob and Natalie have dealt with all of this with more strength and grace than I can imagine possessing. It is truly inspiring. She has become involved in some wonderful groups, such as Holden Uganda, that do amazing things, and I'm happy to play whatever small part I can to help. I know they have much greater things ahead of them, and I can't wait to see what they will accomplish.

Please check out her blog and the causes she has chosen to help through Running With Ryan. She chose to focus on Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep for her race last month. NILMDTS has professional photographers that donate their time and service to give families portraits and photographs of these children that are taken too soon. In addition to financial donations, if you know photographers, please urge them to volunteer their service to this great cause.

The next post will likely be after the race, so I will let you know how it goes.

Love You Angel Ryan!

No comments:

Post a Comment